04 November, 2006

Confirmed at last! Confirmed at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm confirmed at last!


The day was 3 November. It was a Friday. The time was 11am. The place was the the far side of campus, just past the devil's mum. My Confirmation of Candidature had come.

After my admittedly nervous 17-minute presentation, and an agonising 30-minute wait outside, I fumbled my way through an hour of questions from the panel and came out of it confirmed (pending minor revisions - which apparently almost everyone must do). Shaken and somewhat relieved, I returned to my desk and started spreading the news.

So, what's a Confirmation of Candidature? Well, all research students must complete their Confirmation of Candidature within their first year - it's sort of a probationary period. I've been enrolled for 8 months, and it's good to get it out of the way. Apparently it only gets worse from here. *sigh*

No comments: