30 September, 2006

Oktoberfest


Well, what an experience! We've just come home from the annual Oktoberfest celebration held at Fairfield showground. What an adventure! Hellas and I used our '$3 off tokens' to get tickets (thank you mum) and went inside for a traditional German lunch.


On the way to the food stalls we passed all things German: men in leiderhosen wearing hats with feathers and colourful pins, cuckoo clocks, sombreros, wigs, plastic boobs and bums, pitchforks, a Vietnamese maseus, medieval knights, jesters, a kebab stall, a man wearing a giant condom on his head, spray on tattoos and A LOT of pissed Aussies. I tell you, there's just something about German culture that really gets me going. But then I saw something that made me really angry. Something that has no place at the Oktoberfest - nothing to do with German culture at all. I'm talking about showbags.

Showbags are not German. They have nothing to do with beer drinking or dancing. They should stay where they belong. They should stay at the Easter show. If they don't, then they will lose all their meaning.


Hellas had a bratwurst roll (a fried sausage) with tomato sauce and mustard, and I had a pork knuckle (a fried pig's leg) with sauerkraut (cabbage with lemon, also fried). We also shared a langosh with sour cream (basically it's deep-fried, garlic-flavoured bread). We didn't have any beer, much to the delight of all Australians under the giant tent. Instead we had two Cokes (also deep fried).


After we finished eating, we started doing laps of the showground. I bought Hellas a gingerbread heart that said "My Sweetie" on it. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of it because she ate it. It was quite big too. Maybe next year...

No comments: